The Bishop of the Diocese of Lagos, Anglican Communion, The Most Rev Humphrey Olumakaiye is dead.
He was 53.
Here are things to know about Late Anglican Bishop Humphrey Olumakaiye
1. Humphrey Bamisebi Olumakaiye was born on January 28, 1969 at Okene into the family of the Venerable and Mrs. T.A. Olumakaiye.
2. He is a native of Idanre in Ondo State
3. He was a bishop of the Church of Nigeria and Archbishop of the Anglican Province of Lagos, Nigeria.
4. He was Bishop of Osun North East until 2018.
5. He was presented as the Archbishop of Lagos Ecclesiastical Province on November 7, 2021, at the Cathedral Church of Advent, Life Camp, Abuja.
6. Olumakaiye started his Education at St. Michael’s primary school, Esie in 1975.
7. He proceeded to Government Secondary School, Omu-Aran, Kwara State in 1982.
8. He left Omu-Aran in 1983 and concluded his Secondary education at Cherubim Seraphim Secondary School, Ilorin in 1986 .
9. Between 1991 and 1993, he obtained his first degree in Religious Studies from the University of Ibadan, Master’s Degree in Religious Studies in 2001 and doctorate degree in Church History and Doctrine from the same university.
10. Following his training and graduation from Immanuel College of Theology, Ibadan, he was made a deacon in June 1993 and ordained a priest in December same year by E.A. Ademowo, Bishop of Ilesha Diocese .
11. Olumakaiye started his ministry at Christ the Saviour Anglican Church, Cappa, Ilesa in June 1993.
12. Olumakaiye was elected Bishop on May 22, 2009 at the age of 40 and consecrated Bishop on Sunday, July 12, 2009 in Yenagoa, Bayelsa state while he was enthroned on Thursday, July 16, 2009 at Cathedral church of St. Philip’s, Otan Ayegbaju as the first Bishop of Anglican Diocese of Osun North East.
13. He was elected for translation into See of Lagos on Tuesday, February 6, 2018 and enthroned as the 8th Bishop of Lagos on Monday, July 30, 2018 at the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos.
14. He acquired 1500 plots of land for the Diocese and named it Centenary City where he is building low income Housing Estate, Gethsemane garden , Hospital, Convention ground, women & youth empowerment center, Amusement park and lots more.
15. Olumakaiye was the first Nigerian priest to preach at Melbourne church, London.
16. For four years, he was an annual guest lecturer at St. Luke’s Central, Birmingham. UK, (2011-2015).
17. In 2003, he attended the world mission conference in Derbyshire and University of Birmingham .
18. Bishop Olumakaiye published two books
19. Olumakaiye was married to Motunrayo Funke, a professor and former head of the department of nutrition and consumer sciences, faculty of Agriculture Obafemi Awolowo University(O.A.U) Ile -Ife, Osun state.
20. They had a son, Richard Tunbamise