BREAKING: Israel Orders Total Blockade On Gaza, Defence Minister Says ‘No Electricity, No Food, No Fuel’

Advertisement

 

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant has ordered a “complete siege” on Gaza, saying authorities would cut electricity and block the entry of food and fuel.

Israel formally declared war on Sunday, portending greater fighting ahead and a possible ground assault into Gaza.

Al Jazeera reports that the intense bombardment has displaced more than 120,000 people in the besieged Palestinian enclave.

Israel and Egypt have imposed various blockade levels on Gaza since Hamas seized power from rival Palestinian forces in 2007. ‘‘

The chief military spokesman, Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, told reporters Israel has “control” of its border communities.

He said there had been some isolated incidents early Monday but that “at this stage, there is no fighting in the communities.”

He added that “there might still be terrorists in the region.”

Israeli tanks and drones, meanwhile, guarded openings in the border fence to prevent more infiltrations.

The Associated Press reports that civilians are already paying a high price. Around 700 people have been killed in Israel. Nearly 500 have been killed in Gaza.

Meanwhile, Israel hit more than 1,000 targets in Gaza, its military said, including airstrikes that levelled much of the town of Beit Hanoun in the enclave’s northeast corner.

 

 

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *