Members of the Chief Dan Orbih’s-led majority in Edo State PDP were conspicuously missing at the recent Edo North Senatorial rally of the party which took place in Auchi.
Those that were absent include;
1. National Vice-Chairman South-South absent. Members of the state working committee and state Exco from the Senatorial district visibly absent.
2. None of the elected local Govt Party chairmen was present.
3. Most of the ward Chairmen and their Excos stayed away.
4. The Candidates that were in litigation with Obaseki’s candidates boycotted the rally.
5. Notable leaders from Edo North Senatorial District stayed away, hence, the rally was poorly attended.
This was as a result of the PDP being divided against itself in the state. The absence of the faction shows there seem to be no end to the crisis two weeks to the general election. This has made the governor’s facfion to be frantic and panicking as they face defeat.
Although there were calls for reconciliation after the Supreme Court ruled in favour of the Obaseki’s led faction, members of Orbih led faction has vowed not to join in the deceitful reconciliation.
Reacting to the absence of notable PDP leaders at the rally, a stakeholder of the party who preferred anonymity said the bad treatment suffered by party members under Obaseki’s administration and his unbridled greed to support and feed candidates who came with him to the Party has foreclosed efforts at possible reconciliation and that Obaseki should reap the bountiful fruits of his divisive politics. He added that the governor cannot be trusted. He described present overtures by the Governor as selfish. “We have been on this crisis since 2020, why are they making covert operations towards reconciliation now? Who will fall for their no ‘victor no vanquished’ mantra? The reality of the impending doom is obvious. They should face it. We cannot be deceived again.
“The rally was poorly attended, let no one deceive you. All the PDP candidates in Edo North will loose woefully.”