Cristiano Ronaldo arrived at Manchester United’s training ground on Tuesday morning for talks with Erik ten Hag about his future at the club.
The 37-year-old was pictured driving into Carrington with the rest of the first-team squad ahead of meeting Ten Hag for the first time since he was axed from the squad at the weekend.
The Manchester Evening News reported on Monday that Ten Hag was set to hold face-to-face talks with Ronaldo on Tuesday before potentially welcoming the forward back into first-team training.
It is understood that the United manager is keen to find common ground with the forward and believes that he still has a role to play in his squad.
Ronaldo missed the 1-1 draw with Chelsea at the weekend after being told he wouldn’t be in the squad as punishment for refusing to come on as a late substitute against Tottenham last week.
The Portugal international stormed down the tunnel in the final minute of the game and left Old Trafford before his teammates had returned to the dressing room.
He was told last Thursday he was being dropped from the squad to face Chelsea and was ordered to train away from the rest of the first team for the rest of the week.
The Manchester Evening Newsunderstands the United squad accepted Ronaldo would have to be punished for his indiscretion against Tottenham and have been impressed by Ten Hag’s handling of the situation.
Ten Hag gave the squad two days off after the draw at Chelsea, with preparations for Thursday’s Europa League home game against FC Sheriff set to get underway on the training pitches on Tuesday.
Ronaldo could make his return to a matchday squad for the European tie, but only if he can convince Ten Hag that he is committed to the project and willing to meet his requirements.